Friday, March 12, 2010

Toasty



Let me just start out by saying thank you to all of my friends and family that have bothered to read my blog this week. I have had a tremendous amount of fun doing this, and I hadn't anticipated liking it this much. Please feel free to leave any comments that you have on any of my "reviews" and thank you again. :o)

Being that today is Friday I thought that I would do a sure fire, easy, and sure to be delicious review. For lunch today I had Stouffer's Corner Bistro Philly-style Steak & Cheese Toasted Sub (say that 5 times fast). One of the first things I do now when I am getting ready for lunch is I prepare myself for what could be a possibly long wait for my meal. I had no idea until the other day that you don't necessarily cook micro-waved meals on your time, but their time *shakes fist at Boston Market Oven Roasted Chicken Review*. I read the time to animate my "Toasted Sub" that clearly says "Bakery Fresh Taste in minutes." I read that the cooking time is 2 minutes and 45 seconds with a one minute wait time. I can handle that kind of wait" I think to myself as I take the "Toasted" sub out of its lifeless packaging. It is wrapped in plastic and I am assuming to look like a sort of Sandwich-body-bag. I rearrange the Stouffer's packaging I am now pretty familiar with and place it on its perch. A short 4 minutes or so I take it out of the microwave and it smells pretty good, but I am sure it wouldn't turn any heads for my friends from Philly. The sandwich really looks edible to me. You wouldn't be able to tell by the picture I provided, but mixed with the smell it is pretty good looking.

As you can tell by the tone of the article I wasn't very impressed with the sub when I picked it up. The bread was moist and squishy at best, and wasn't the "Bakery Fresh" texture I expected. I worked as a baker for years, you couldn't pass this off as dough in a bakery. Should I be forgiving of the fact that it is in fact micro-waved, probably not. My reasoning is this, micro-wave pizza doesn't outrageous claims like "brick-oven fresh" on them. Everyone knows that is a ridiculous claim so I shouldn't dwell on it, but c'mon! REALLY? BAKERY FRESH!, lol jk

In all seriousness the bread was a little moist for my taste and not very toasty at all. I like the "steak" portion of the sandwich and the cheese was good, but a little unrecognizable in flavor. The vegetables in the sandwich were good, I am really always surprised when I can say that. The sandwich was a quick cook and was eaten pretty fast by myself. I think it was because I didn't want to get cheese dripped on me. :o) The cheese was pretty unrecognizable too. I didn't know if there were going for a particular flavor or not, but I have to mention that I am pretty sensitive to different flavors and I got nothing. I am as surprised as you may be by this review, I sincerely expected more from Stouffer's than this. I don't think I will be purchasing a "toasted sub" from them again, but overall I will not be giving up on the brand as a whole. If I do purchase another toasted sub it will be a different variety, but for now I will not.

In a word my lunch wasn't as bad as it could have been.



Time: 2:45 minutes



Stand Time: 1 minute


Nutritional Information found here.

3 comments:

  1. There are certain things that just shouldn't be microwaveable...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toasted and microwave should never be used in the same sentence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sandwich looks like it was a cheese sandwich with sprinkles of "steak" i have heard some good meals from that brand though and i have had "toasted" microwave sandwiches that weren't bad or soggy. I think they were the lean cusiens (sp). with the special toaster grid it comes with. They are worth looking into.

    ReplyDelete